Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Reasons to smile

As I write, I'm feeling the all-too-dreaded sensation of a sore throat. I'm now drinking jamine green tea with honey and lemon, and I plan to gargle with salt water before I go to bed tonight. Erin was really sick a couple of weeks ago, and I do not want what she had. Actually, several of the teachers have, or are currently recovering from, an illness of some sort. It hasn't been the healthiest couple of weeks for us at school. Anyway, I'm watching "Rushmore" for the first time. I've wanted to see it for a really long time, and I'm enjoying it very much so far. Until now, I haven't been much of a Jason Schwartzman fan, but I think this may change my mind.
There are some moments during class that truly give me joy. Not so many, but a few. My students are such cuties, but that's charming for only a little while. The cuteness is either enhanced or becomes almost non-existent according to the personality of the child. In some cases, you find yourself stuck with an adorable brat. There are many different personalities in my classroom, and I have found that some of them are very entertaining. There is one boy in particular who makes me think of Elvis - young, cute Elvis, except that he's blonde. Yes, a blonde Arab. Now that I think about it, Elvis was actually blonde too. Anyway, this kid lifts his hands in the air and shakes his hips with his feet spread wide - oh my goodness, it's so cute. I can't help but laugh when he does it. Sometimes I get marriage proposals from some of the boys, which of course will always make me smile. There are lots of hugs given and received from both boys and girls, and I realize how precious it is to have such an opportunity with these children; although, at times, it can be difficult to remember that. We have music and art this year, and I really enjoy seeing the kids sing and dance. Even though the sound isn't always pleasing to the ears, the heart of it is.
We had a sleepover last night at the high school with 3rd - 6th grade girls in the Stars program. I didn't stay all night because I don't feel that great & I don't need to be staying up all night, especially since lack of sleep is probably the reason that I'm feeling ill these days. But, I did get to spend time with some of the girls I taught last year and it was so nice. They painted my nails and then drew on my face and I got to do "Twister Moves" with them, which is basically doing dance moves on a mat to an instructional CD. I was surprised at how difficult it was to do, but we had lots of fun with it.
There is so much that I'm learning here. Not only am I learning how to teach children, but I'm learning how to love them. Until last year, I had never really been around children before. I am so thankful to God for giving me this opportunity and experience - I can't help but feel that He is preparing me for a family of my own someday. It seems very odd to me to write that, but it's how I feel. I guess only time will tell.

No comments: